GreenLeaf Market observes World Food Day 2019Posted on October 16th, 2019 by Jessica Murray
Did you know that today is World Food Day? At GreenLeaf Market, we observe this day every day by taking action locally to reduce hunger globally:
- We support local farmers as much as possible by sourcing meat, vegetables, and fruit as close to St. Louis as possible.
- We minimize “food waste” and donate all our “unsellable” food to local organizations that feed hungry children and families. We work mainly with St. Louis Area Foodbank , and we also donate to a few other smaller St. Louis nonprofits.
- We participate in Double Up Food Bucks which helps people receiving SNAP benefits get twice as much fruits and vegetables for every dollar they spend.
- We support effortless food assistance through GiftAMeal which coordinates with Operation Food Search To donate a meal to a St. Louis hungry family, all you need to do is snap a picture of your meal while you’re here at GreenLeaf Market and upload it through their app… it’s that easy!
- We’re gearing up our education efforts, support the St. Louis Public Schools and local health organizations.
- We support community gardening and will be announcing more about this in 2020.
- We participate in community health and wellness events, and constantly strive to improve nutrition and eliminate hunger at a local community based level.
How are you observing #WorldFoodDay ?
“No matter who you are, what you do or where you live, we all should have access to a healthy and affordable diet. Our Actions Are Our Future.”
Healthy Diets for A #ZeroHunger World
#stl #STLMade #ShopLocalSTL #EatLocalSTL #WorldFoodDay2019
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
GreenLeaf Market News | October 16th, 2019